Typism Gold Coast Workshops: September 28–29
We have organised two days of hands-on workshops with Typism speakers past and present. All workshops run from 2 pm until 6 pm and will be held at Griffith University on the Gold Coast.
All materials are supplied and the classes kept deliberately small so you get plenty of hands-on tuition from your workshop presenter.
Tickets are ($67 / $47) and you can take one workshop on Thursday and one on Friday.
Learn the techniques of traditional sign painting with this hands-on workshop on painting casual letterforms.
What you’ll need:
- Nothing but a grin
- Controlling a Chiselled Edge Brush
- Mahl Stick & Hand Over Hand Techniques
- Alphabet Consistency
- Consistency in Brush Pressure
- Distinction and Bounce
- Working with Enamel Paint
- A strong understanding of drawing and hand painting Casual Lettering
- A quick demonstration and practice of Script Lettering
- Understanding of new materials
- Casual Lettering Worksheets formatted in step-by-step colour formation
- Your own hand-painted Sign Panel
- A ton of bad jokes to impress even your in-laws.
Brett Piva specialises in bespoke, hand crafted lettering, signage and murals. His skill set means the unique elegance of a handmade aesthetic is woven through all of his creations through his successful design and branding studio Pocket Design. Over recent years he has travelled throughout Australia and the world to conduct research and collaborate with everyone from traditional sign painters in country towns, to world renowned artists, and continues to lead workshops that pass his hard-won skills on to new devotees. Learn from a letterer built on tradition but bends the rules to create unique and engaging lettering.
Brett Piva: Quick and Slick Casuals
Thursday 28 September: 2pm – 6pm