Typism Gold Coast Workshops: September 28–29
We have organised two days of hands-on workshops with Typism speakers past and present. All workshops run from 2 pm until 6 pm and will be held at Griffith University on the Gold Coast.
All materials are supplied and the classes kept deliberately small so you get plenty of hands-on tuition from your workshop presenter.
Tickets are ($67 / $47) and you can take one workshop on Thursday and one on Friday.
Learn the foundations of pointed pen calligraphy with this hands-on copperplate workshop.
For beginners and experienced letterers alike, this four-hour workshop will cover the foundations of letterform construction, rhythm, contrast and letter spacing using walnut ink and a flexible pointed pen. You will also experiment with modern tools such as Pentel Touch brushes.
What You’ll Learn:
- The difference between calligraphy, lettering and typography;
- The fundamental elements of the letter: the strokes;
- Some knowledge of all forms of calligraphy and the tools used to write each script: broad nib pen, flexible pen, ruling pen, bamboo pen and flat brush;
- You’ll learn that calligraphy directly reflects the movement of the hand. Practicing calligraphy is connecting your brain with your hand and your eye. It is also about having fun and learning by doing.
- You’ll acquire some serious secret skills to write your best greeting cards to all your family and friends!
- You will finish this workshop with a piece of work that demonstrates a Copperplate alphabet.
Included in this session:
- Guidelines for Copperplate calligraphy;
- Walnut Ink, liquid watercolours, calligraphy pens and paper are supplied;
- Examples of applied works;
- Some Spanglish for sure!
Maria is a freelance designer passionate about letterforms. Originally a graphic and textile designer, she now creates typefaces, illustrates lettering and teaches calligraphy.
Maria Montes: Copperplate Calligraphy
Friday 29 September: 2pm – 6pm